Thursday, September 30, 2010

Don't judge a meal by it's taste

Did you know that it takes more than just the taste buds on your tongue to actually taste something? I knew that, but didn't realize how true it was until my hospital stay.

While I had the traych, I was unable to breath through my nose. All breathing was done through the breathing tube connected to the traych.

As I said earlier, I was on a fairly strict diet while I was on dialysis, so finding foods that I could stomach was paramount. I found that cranberry juice seemed to fit the bill, along with an egg-substitute that they served for breakfast. This, along with oatmeal with non-dairy creamer instead of milk, became something of a staple for breakfast for quite sometime.

When the time came to cap the traych, allowing me to breath normally, little did I know the culinary surprise in store for me. I quickly discovered, among other things, that: 1. I hate the taste of cranberry juice, 2. Egg substitute is no substitute for honest to goodness eggs, and 3. Non-dairy creamer does not, in fact, taste like milk. I found myself making a number of adjustments to my diet to satisfy my newly acquired sense of taste.

The lesson? It might not taste like a duck if it doesn't also smell like a duck.


No comments: