Thursday, September 23, 2010

Defying Gravity

This post is coming much later than it should. Wanna know why? Well, I'll tell you.

I was sitting messing about on the Internet last night, and made the decision to write my nightly blog posting. So, I go to start, and notice that it isn't auto-saving. My blog editor is saying that it doesn't have a connection to the blogging server anymore. I try other websites, and find no response. Giving a quick call to Mediacom customer service confirms that there is a service outage in my area and that they are "working to restore service as soon as possible" whatever that means.

Okay, so I decide to wait a bit to see if service comes back. Maybe a good time to pull some of the videos that I have recorded on my Flip camcorder and start editing them together. I flip the USB connector out and try to connect it to my computer. Unfortunately, where I currently have it to access here in the living room is not exactly convenient for connecting the camera. So, I make the decision to get up and go across the room to the USB kit in my IBM bag. I get up, walk across the room with my walker, no problems. I lean down to reach the kit out of the bag, and find it is just out of reach. So, I lean a bit more, and then it happens. I take a header into the walker and collapse on the floor in a pile of Marcus.

First thing's first, I need to extricate myself from the walker. After about 15 minutes of struggling with that, I find myself lying on the floor trying to decide what to do next. Finally, I call for Emily, knowing that I am going to need some sort of help if I am going to get off the floor before morning. Between the two of us, we try to come up with a plan to get my butt off of the floor, but nothing seems quite right. My mom heard us struggling out in the living room and came out to see what the problem was. It was her idea to try and crawl over to my bed and get up that way. I made it over to the bed, and with their help I was able to hoist my upper body onto the bed. Unfortunately, I was still stuck, face down, half way on the bed. Remembering that the bed can be raised and lowered, I instructed Emily to raise the bed as high as it would go, and then after that to raise the foot of the bed higher. Between the two, I was able to get my feet under me and eventually sit at the side of the bed.

3:00 in the morning, and all three of us were wide awake. But I was up on the bed, nursing a few aches and pains from the ordeal. It was something that I had thought about, and knew that might happen at some point, but I had no idea it was going to be that hard to accomplish something as simple as getting off the floor.

Gravity: it's the law.

No comments: